We're pumped you're checking out our Student Ministry! Here's what we are all about!
Stonegate Student Ministry EXISTS to extend the glory of God by making disciples through the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Simply put, we’re all about making disciples. Our DESIRE is for students to meet Jesus and mature in Jesus. Our PRAYER is that their utmost joy would be found in the satisfaction of knowing Jesus. Our HOPE is for students to grasp God’s purpose for their lives to know Jesus and to make His name known. We are adamant in our passionate pursuit of making disciples, and this filters itself out through our church’s core values of Gospel, Community, and Mission.
Stonegate Student Ministry believes the Bible teaches that the HOME is God’s primary context for children to learn and embrace Gospel truths, Gospel values, and Christ-honoring behavior. We believe it is the parents’ role to be the primary spiritual shepherds of their children. One of the foundational Scriptures of this understanding comes from Deuteronomy 6:4-9:
“Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.”
From this Scripture we propose a three-fold pattern for passing on our faith. First, a parent’s relationship with God is critical. It is vital because a parent’s relationship with his or her child is reflective of his or her relationship with the Lord. Second, parents are God’s chosen instruments to instruct their children in the truths of His Word. Finally, parents must model a life of faith to their children. We believe that parents are the single strongest influence in the life of a student.
Jonathan Edwards, the 18th century pastor and philosopher who is prominently known as one of the most influential Christian theologians of our time; wrote concerning the home that, "Every Christian family ought to be as it were a little church consecrated to Christ, and wholly influenced and governed by His rule. And family education and order are some of the chief means of grace. If these fail, all other means are likely to prove ineffectual. If these are duly maintained, all the means of grace will be likely to prosper and be successful."
Therefore, Stonegate Student Ministry plans to effectively PARTNER with parents to make disciples of Jesus. Our ministry desires to be a catalyst for your student's faith. It is our joy to walk with you through the trenches of parenthood. In the same way that Paul and Silas are publicly charged in Acts 17 with turning the world upside down, we also desire for every student to turn their world upside down for the cause of Christ! This will happen when they realize the potency of the Holy Spirit living within them. Students are the MOST INFLUENTIAL GENERATION on the planet, and we’re tapping into that influence to see it unleashed for the glory of God!
Please see below for how Stonegate Student Ministry goes about making disciples through our church’s core values of Gospel, Community, and Mission.
COLLIDE is our mid-week gathering of students in grades 6-12 for the purpose of equipping them with the Gospel. Students will grow in their understanding of the Gospel that while it is sufficient for salvation, it is more than the ABC’s of gaining entrance to Heaven. The Gospel is also the A-Z of a Christian’s life, and it has immense power as it works out their faith and love for Jesus. All of this equipping happens in a strong community of peers we call, “SMALL GROUPS”. These groups, led by passionate leaders, are the bread and butter of what we do on Wednesdays. Finally, we send our students out to be missionaries for Jesus. As believers in Jesus who have been changed by Jesus, we want them to grasp ownership of their faith in Jesus by seeking to do two things well—know Him and make Him known.
- What: Mid-week gathering of students
- When: Every Wednesday from 6:30p-8:30p
- Where: Midlothian Conference Center
- Who: 6th-12th grade students, leaders, and parents
- Purpose: To gather for the purpose of being equipped with the Gospel
- Elements: Growing friendships, b-ball, Snack Shack, crazy games, funny videos, worship with student band, Gospel-centered teaching, small groups
Catalysts are not meant to sustain the faith of our students, but rather act as a launching pad for their faith in Jesus. We are selective in how many of these we plan because we want to maintain the unity of the home. The last thing we want to do is take students away from their families (the primary disciple-making unit in their life) , just to say we gathered for the sake of another event. A catalyst for us would be a large, event-gathering outside the norm of Wednesdays to better aid the COLLIDE movement. These three catalysts below serve us well in making disciples.
WAKE WEEKEND (Disciple Now Retreat: January 27—29, 2017)
MISSION TRIP (El Valle, Panama: June 12-17, 2017)
SUMMER CAMP (TBD: July/August)
There are 5 primary ways for you to stay in the know as to what is happening in the Stonegate Student Ministry:
- MAIL CHIMP: This is our primary means of communication. We send out weekly email updates to our parents through this chain. If you wish to be added to this group and be in the know on ALL things Student Ministry then please email Jeff Garner:
- THE CITY: The City is one of our primary means of communication to parents. For more info about The City as well as instructions on how to sign up for The City, go HERE. Once you have signed up to join The City, make sure you search for and join the "Student Ministry—Parents' group." Church membership is not required to be a member of the city.
- STUDENT WEB PAGE: We will post information regarding all of our upcoming events on this webpage.
- INSTAGRAM: We have an Instagram account titled, “StonegateStudents.” To follow our page, search for it on your Instagram account and follow us.
- TWITTER: We have a Twitter account titled, @StonegateStudents. To follow this account, search for it on your Twitter page and follow us.
We look forward to seeing you soon on a Wednesday! For additional information, please contact: